So you want to apply to the Hertie School’s Executive Master of Public Administration? Here’s what you need to know.
- Keep our deadlines in mind! 1 June is our deadline for three full scholarships, but you can apply to the Executive MPA up until 15 August. If you are an international applicant who requires an entry visa into Germany, however, we encourage you to apply sooner rather than later, as the visa process can take several months.
- Take a look at our admissions requirements and FAQs to see if you’re eligible. Do you have at least a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent), at least three years of work experience and a good command of English? If you answered yes to all three of these questions, apply away!
- Register on our online application portal.
- Upload all required documents in the portal. Once we’ve received all documents, we’ll start the evaluation process.
Required documents for admission
All documents must be submitted in English or in German (or officially translated into one of these two languages by a certified translator).
Your CV can tell us a lot about you! Feel free to elaborate more on the different roles you’ve held without letting your CV get too lengthy (2-3 pages is enough). We want to know not only the positions you’ve held and for how long, but also what responsibilities you’ve had and what projects you’ve worked on. Please do not include a photo with your CV.
In a maximum of 900 words, please tell us what drives you to pursue the Executive MPA programme. Unsure of what to write? Remember that the letter of motivation is your opportunity to introduce yourself in your own voice to the admissions committee, explain how the Executive MPA is relevant to your career goals and express what you hope to get out of the programme.
With this in mind, in your letter of motivation, please feel free to tell us more about yourself, your background, your educational history and your career thus far. You may consider the following questions as you write:
- Why do you want to study at the Hertie School, and what are your expectations for the Executive MPA programme?
- Where are you working now and what does your professional trajectory look like?
- How will the Executive MPA programme empower you to get where you want to be?
- What skills and experiences will you bring to the classroom and to a tight-knit group of peers and professionals?
Remember that if you are applying for one of our scholarships, you may need to highlight your interest for that scholarship in your letter of motivation in order to be considered. For more information on how to apply, check out the requirements on each scholarship page.
You don’t need to submit certified copies of your official transcripts and diplomas until after you enrol in the Executive MPA programme, so feel free to send us unofficial copies when you apply.
In addition to your CV and your letter of motivation, letters of reference can help the Admissions Committee get a better understanding of who you are, how you work in a team, and your fit for this programme. We require two letters of reference, and at least one of your reference letters must come from your current employer or most recent employer (if self-employed). Alternatively, you may submit an annual performance review.
For your second letter of reference, you can submit either a professional or academic letter of reference. Academic letters of reference must be sent from your professor or lecturer directly via e-mail to empa-admissions[at]hertie-school[dot]org from an official institutional e-mail address. We can’t accept academic reference letters from personal e-mail providers such as Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. On the other hand, you can upload professional letters of reference yourself in the “Documents” section of our application portal.
When it comes to formatting, letters of reference should be on official letterhead and contain an original signature by your referee.
Because all courses at the Hertie School are conducted in English, you must provide proof of English proficiency if you are a non-native speaker of English. There are two possibilities:
- Submit sufficient English proficiency test results from one of the following exams:
TOEFL | PBT 577 | CBT 233 | iBT 90
IELTS | Overall score of 7.0
Cambridge ESOL | CPE (A, B, C) | CAE (A, B)
Duolingo | 115
Note: If you take an English test, you may send your results to us after submitting your application.
- Provide proof of substantial work experience or study in English. If you’ve worked for many years in an English-speaking environment or completed your entire undergraduate degree in English, you may not need to take a test. Write to empa-admissions[at]hertie-school[dot]org if you have any questions about whether your experience will exempt you from providing proof of English proficiency.
Have a question? Reach out to us!
After a positive evaluation of all your application documents, we’ll invite you to an interview with a faculty member of the Executive MPA admissions committee. More on this coming up!