Applying for the Executive MPA programme
The Executive Master of Public Administration is aimed at professionals from all sectors. Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- A good higher education degree in any discipline (typically, Executive MPA participants have a background in business/economics, law, social science or natural sciences)
- At least two years of relevant work experience (average is nine years)
- Proficiency in English
Applications for the next Executive MPA class starting in September are possible via the Hertie School's online application module.
Create an online account in our applications portal and follow the step-by-step instructions. Fill in the online application carefully and completely. Incomplete applications cannot be accepted.
Upload required supporting documents to online application:
- Curriculum vitae (in English or German)
- Letter of motivation (in English or German, preferably in English - two pages or 900 words maximum)
- Copies of official academic transcripts and diplomas of all attended universities. Every transcript must include a transcript key (an explanation of the grading system). If these documents are not in English or German, the applicant needs to provide us with a certified/notarised translation into English or German. Hard copies are not required until after acceptance into the programme.
- Two letters of reference (in English or German, or: a certified/notarised translation into English or German), of which at least one should come from the applicant’s current or last employer. The other can be issued by an academic referee and/or an employer. Applicants who undergo an annual performance evaluation by their employer can replace one of the reference letters with this document. The Hertie School may decide to contact the referee(s) to confirm the authenticity of the issued document(s).
Reference letters can also be sent to us by the referee directly, either as an email attachment to empa-admissions[at]hertie-school[dot]org, or via regular mail to: Hertie School of Governance Executive Degree Programmes, Friedrichstr. 180, 10117 Berlin, Germany.
Reference letter should be on official letterhead (if applicable) and include an original signature. Contact details of all referees should be listed in the "References" section of the online application module. Reference letters can also be handed in after the application deadline.
Reference letters are not requested from candidates nominated/dispatched by their employer after passing an internal selection process in their organisation.
- English proficiency certificate (for non-native English speakers, if applicable)
An application can be saved and revisited until it is "submitted". Once submitted, the application will no longer be accessible to the candidate.
All documents must be submitted in English. Please note we are not able to return any application materials.
Please keep in mind that only complete applications will be evaluated. It is the responsibility of applicants to make sure they submit all required documents and that the submitted documents are valid.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Applications for EMPA scholarships are accepted until 1 May. Applications for financial aid (reduction in the tuition fees) are accepted as long as funds are available. Both free spots as well as scholarship and financial aid funds are limited and the programme is in high demand, which is why early application is strongly recommended.
The selection committee may decide to invite preselected candidates to a phone or skype interview. The committee also decides on the admissions for the new Executive MPA cohort.