FAQs for MPP | MIA


General questions

How many years are the MPP and MIA?

The master's programmes are two-year programmes, consisting of four academic semesters and one mandatory six-week internship between the first and second year of study. The Hertie School follows the American academic calendar with the fall semester lasting from the beginning of September to mid-December and the spring semester lasting from the beginning of February to mid-May.


Can I apply for both the MPP and MIA?

Yes, you are welcome to apply for both programmes. Please note, however, that you can study in only one of the programmes. Should you be offered admission to both programmes you will have to decide which offer you accept. You cannot accept both offers of admission.


What are the application deadlines?

The application period for the Masters programmes is 1 October to 1 May.

Admission and scholarships are allocated on a rolling basis. Your chance to be offered a scholarship is higher the earlier you apply. Priority deadline is 1 February.


When will I know if I was admitted?

Admission decisions are made on a rolling basis. The earlier you submit your complete application, the earlier we can provide feedback. The school seeks to admit students with strong applications as soon as possible. 


How do I apply for a dual degree?

Students can only apply for these programmes after enrolling at the Hertie School. You will receive all necessary information on the application process during your first semester at the Hertie School. 

However, students wishing to apply for the ATLANTIS dual degree programme need to apply before enrolling at Hertie. For further information please consult the ATLANTIS section of our website.

Students interested in the dual-MPP with Sciences Po Paris need to apply via the Sciences Po application portal. More information can be found here.


How do I apply for the ATLANTIS Dual Degree?

Interested candidates are encouraged to apply through the Hertie School's application portal, mentioning their ATLANTIS candidacy in the "Further information" section of either the MPP or MIA application form.





Application process

Which documents do I need to apply?

Please click here for a complete list of required documents. All required documents must be submitted in .pdf or .docx format.


Do I need to mail any hard copies of documents?

Upon admission to the programme we will communicate which original documents must be mailed or presented during orientation week.


How long should my motivation letter be?

Your letter of motivation should not exceed 2 pages or 900 words. You should briefly sketch your motivation and personal suitabilty for the MPP or MIA programme at the Hertie School.


Must any documents be translated into English?

All documents must be submitted in English. Transcripts, degree certificates and/or reference letters originally issued in a language other than English, must be translated by a sworn (court-registered) translator. Personal translations are not accepted. You may contact your local American Embassy or British Consulate for a list of certified translators in your area. Translations must be literal, i.e. grades should not be transferred into other grading systems.


Do documents need to be notarized?

No. Documents do not need to be notarized or have an apostille; however, they should be certified copies from the issuing authority.


Can I save my work on the application form?

Yes. You can access and edit your application until you submit. The first time you save your data, you will receive an email with your username and password. You will need this username and password to access your application form again. Please always let us know of any changes to your email address, since all communication is conducted per email.



Application requirements

What are the academic requirements?

Applicants must have completed an undergraduate degree (bachelor's) of at least six semesters at an institution of higher education. This includes a bachelor's degree obtained from a German "Fachhochschule". Candidates with higher degrees are also encouraged to apply.


What academic background do I need?

While many applicants have completed their degree in subjects related to public policy and international affairs (i.e. political science, economics, sociology or law), the master's programmes are open to all academic backgrounds.


Can I apply without an undergraduate degree?

Yes – you can apply without an undergraduate certificate but you will need to have completed your undergraduate studies by 31 August in order to be able to register for the programme beginning on 1 September the same year. If you are not yet in possession of your certificate, please indicate on the application when you will receive it.


Will I need to speak German?

No. The only language of instruction at the Hertie School is English.


Which English tests and scores are accepted?

  • TOEFL | PBT 600 | CBT 250 | iBT 100
  • Cambridge ESOL | CPE C | CAE B
  • IELTS | Overall = 7.0 | Writing 7.0


Our TOEFL test school code is 8874. Test results may not be more than two years old.

Short-term study abroad, au-pair home-stays or language school certificates will not be accepted as test replacements.


Can I waive the English test?

Yes. Non-native speakers can waive the English test if they have earned an undergraduate degree at an academic institution where the official language of instruction is English. Applicants holding only a master’s degree from an English-speaking graduate school cannot waive the test.


Is the GRE required for application?

No. GRE results are not required; however, we encourage applicants to submit their results if they are taking the test anyway, as it helps us to evaluate the candidates’ profiles.


Do I need work experience to apply?

No. Work experience is not required; however, relevant work experience (internships, project management, regular job positions, etc.) will be an asset to your application.



Letters of reference

What is the procedure with the letters of reference?

You must contact your referees to have them send us your letter of reference directly to the admissions team.

1. Your referee may directly email us their reference letter to grad-admissions[at]hertie-school[dot]org from the referee’s institutional email address. The letter must be signed and submitted as a PDF. 

2. Your referee may send a signed letter on institutional letterhead directly to our postal address:

Hertie School
Graduate Admissions
Friedrichstrasse 180
10117 Berlin    


How many letters of reference must I send?

We require two letters of reference to process your application.

We strongly recommend that you contact your referees as soon as possible so as not to cause delays in the processing of your application. As soon as they are available, the letters must then be emailed to grad-admissions[at]hertie-school[dot]org.

  • Current students and applicants who completed their most recent degree in 2018, 2017 or 2016 must submit two academic letters of reference.
  • Applicants who completed their most recent degree in 2015 or 2014 can supply one professional letter of reference in place of one academic reference.
  • Applicants who completed their most recent degree before 2014 may supply two professional letters of reference if no academic references are available.

However, it is in your own best interest to submit academic references wherever possible.


How must the letters of reference be formatted?

We encourage you to use our reference form,  but it is not required. A reference in the form of a standard letter will also be accepted.


Who should write the letter of reference?

Referees should be in a position to assess your performance at university level or your current workplace. Typically, these are university professors/academics who have taught you in the past or direct supervisors.



Scholarships and financial aid

Who is eligible for financial aid?

All candidates who apply by 1 May.


Must I be admitted before applying for financial aid?

No. You can apply for financial aid while submitting your application.  To actually receive funds, however, you must be admitted and enrolled at the university.


How is financial aid allocated?

Financial aid is allocated on the basis of merit and need within the pool of admitted students. All applicants are ranked by the Admission Committee on the basis of the following criteria:

  • Personal suitability (CV, professional experience, entrepreneurship, international experience, civic engagement) [weight: 40%]
  • Academic Excellence (strength of academic background, academic performance - grades/transcripts, general academic qualification, linguistic qualification) [weight: 40%]
  • Motivation (convincing motivation to study public policy or international affairs, motivation to study at the Hertie School, overall coherence) [weight: 20%]

The ranking of applicants by the Admission Committee is the basis for the allocation of financial aid for students with financial need. We define financial need as the applicant's capacity to finance their living expenses and tuition from their own resources. The amount of financial aid offered to a student is therefore dependent on this capacity.


What is the amount of awards granted?

The Hertie School offers financial support in the form of scholarships (mostly full tuition waivers) and financial aid (partial tuition waivers).

Tuition waivers do not need to be paid back.  Please note that the tuition waivers do not include living costs. For alternative sources of funding please check the Scholarships and funding section.


Must I ever re-apply for financial aid?

No, scholarships and financial aid are granted for the entire period of the master's programme (2 years).


How do I apply for a scholarship?

For a Hertie School scholarship simply fill out the 'Financial Information' section in the online application form.

For more information on scholarships and financial aid, see here. For more information on external funding, see here.


Can I apply for the Future of Europe Stipend if I am not an EU citizen?

Yes. The Future of Europe stipend is open to candidates from all countries.



Other questions

Whom can I contact for help with German bureaucracy?

Our Student Affairs team (studentaffairs[at]hertie-school[dot]org) will offer support in administrative issues such as visas, residence permits, health insurance, etc.


Will accommodation be provided?

The Hertie School is located in the center of Berlin and does not have a campus providing student housing. However, the city of Berlin offers ample opportunity for accommodation at relatively reasonable rates.


Whom can I contact for help with housing?

Please see the Student Services section on housing for more information. 


Is there a Career Services Centre?

Yes. Our Career development team supports students in finding internship positions and offers individual coaching sessions as well as application training.