Mastering the art of communication has emerged as one of the key success factors in all segments of society: business, politics, and civil society. Interestingly, the ground rules of successful communication have become comparable across segments. Reputation and issue management, stakeholder communication, crisis communication, campaign planning and development are critical skills for achieving effective interaction with decision-makers in all sectors.
The certificate addresses these success factors through a unique interdisciplinary approach. We combine theories from the social sciences with best practices of strategic communication in various fields. By approaching case studies and cross-cutting issues from different angles, participants with varied academic and professional backgrounds benefit from the faculty's expertise and learn from one another.
This certificate includes:
One of the following seminars*
- Political communication (23-25 April 2018)
- (28-30 May 2018)
Two of the following seminars*
- Power and influence: Leadership in action (9-11 October 2017)
- Managing organisational change - How to lead change within a political and administrative context (27-29 November 2017)
- Public value leadership: Creating value in society (14-16 June 2018)
- Strategic management - Enhancing the strategic capacity of public organisations (18-20 June 2018)
- EU Workshop in Brussels (5-8 June 2018)
One of the following skills trainings*
- Consulting skills (16-17 October 2017)
- Decision support through foresight analysis and scenario planning (23-24 January 2018)
- Conflict management (8-9 March 2018)
- Public communication skills (26-27 April 2018)
- Leadership for new leaders (12-13 June 2018)
- Negotiation (21-22 June 2018)
*Participants make their choice.
Professionals from all sectors (public, private, and from NGOs)
- Higher education degree
- At least two years of relevant professional experience (average is ten years)
- Good knowledge of English
- Three seminars and one skills training, amounting to a total of 11-12 days
- Additional time for the preparation of the seminars, as well as for the follow-up assignments
- 11 ECTS credits are acquired
€ 6,900 if certificate programme includes a Workshop
Certificate fees are exempted from tax according to Value Added Tax Act (UStG) §4 Nr. 21a. In Germany and many other countries, tuition fees for continuing education programmes are also fully tax-deductible as professional training expenses.
Certificate fee includes (unless otherwise indicated):
Attendance, online access to course literature before the seminars, materials during the seminars, beverages in the Hertie School of Governance cafeteria (open on weekdays), correction and rating of assignments, and a final certificate after full and successful attendance (11 ECTS credits are acquired). Participants of the certificate programme must complete the certificate within two years. Most courses take place on an annual basis. All seminars take place at the Hertie School of Governance in Berlin, workshops take place in London or Brussels.
Registration is possible throughout the year, on a first-come, first-serve basis via our online application module. Admission is subject to availability.