Together, CIVICA members build on an ever-stronger combination of teaching, research and innovation to mobilise and share knowledge as a public good and to facilitate civic responsibility in Europe and beyond.
Through activities at bachelor’s, master’s and PhD level, CIVICA aims to establish an European inter-university campus, connected both physically and digitally.
- Actively assume political responsibility, as Europeans, towards future generations
- Raise the voice of the social sciences in the competitive world of higher education
- Take part in the grand collective plan to transform the world of research and higher education
- Flexible, sustainable and accountable governance structures
- A European campus
- A multi-campus bachelor's programme
- Joint, blended master's modules
- A common integrated space for European early stage researchers
- Knowledge-creating teams to take on urgent societal challenges
- Civic outreach
- International outreach
- A role-model for higher education institutions
The long-term vision of the ambitious project will be achieved incrementally. The starting point will be the intense collaboration already existing between the participating institutions.
2022 is envisaged as the first horizon for the CIVICA project; 2025 as a second; and beyond 2025 as a long-term strategy.
- Societies in Transition and Crises of Earth
- Challenges to Democracy in the 21st Century
- Europe Revisited
- Data Driven Technologies for the Social Sciences
- Bocconi University (Italy)
- Central European University (Austria and Hungary)
- European University Institute (Intergovernmental)
- Hertie School (Germany)
- National University of Political Studies and Public Administration (Romania)
- Sciences Po (France)
- Stockholm School of Economics (Sweden)
- The London School of Economics and Political Science (United Kingdom)
The CIVICA Ambassadors
CIVICA Ambassadors range from undergraduate students to postdoctoral researchers, and represent each university in the alliance. Their role is to promote interaction and exchange within the alliance's communities, and to be a first point of contact to CIVICA for their peers. In the long run, the CIVICA Ambassadors network will actively shape CIVICA by linking each university's offerings, events and programmes.
Meet the current CIVICA Ambassadors.
“We are proud to be part of this European network of top universities that reflects Hertie School’s own mission: Through excellence in teaching, research and outreach, to prepare the next generation of policymakers to be engaged for Europe's common good.”Henrik Enderlein, President of the Hertie School, 2018-2021
“CIVICA allows students and researchers to share knowledge, breaks down borders between academic cohorts, and makes increased cooperation and cohesion possible. In today's Europe, the implementation of this idea is more necessary than ever.”Maryse Dalhoff, MIA 2021, CIVICA Ambassador at the Hertie School
“As students of the CIVICA Alliance you are in a unique position to shape Europe’s future. You are part of a new generation of creative Europeans, able to work together in different languages and across borders and disciplines.”Mariya Gabriel, European Commissioner for Innovation, Research, Culture, Education and Youth
CIVICA is co-funded by the Erasmus+ programme of the European Union and receives additional support from the Horizon 2020 programme.