Bocconi University (Italy), Central European University (Hungary), European University Institute (Italy), the Hertie School (Germany), the National School of Administration and Political Science (Romania), Sciences Po (France) and the Stockholm School of Economics (Sweden) submitted a joint application under the name CIVICA The European University of Social Sciences to become one of the pilot European Universities in the first round of applications for European Commission support in 2019.
The CIVICA Alliance aims to serve European society; it will address current and emerging challenges, using existing and new means for and approaches to education, research and outreach in the social sciences and related areas.
- Actively assume political responsibility, as Europeans, towards future generations
- Raise the voice of the social sciences in the competitive world of higher education
- Take part in the grand collective plan to transform the world of research and higher education
- Flexible, sustainable and accountable governance structures
- A European campus
- A multi-campus bachelor's programme
- Joint, blended master's modules
- A common integrated space for European early stage researchers
- Knowledge-creating teams to take on urgent societal challenges
- Civic outreach
- International outreach
- A role-model for higher education institutions
The long-term vision of the ambitious project will be achieved incrementally. The starting point will be the intense collaboration already existing between the participating institutions.
2022 is envisaged as the first horizon for the CIVICA project; 2025 as a second; and beyond 2025 as a long-term strategy.