This programme aims to enhance the ability of participants to accomplish the following objectives through practical sessions on legal issues, soft and management skills:
- creation of a business or progression within an existing organisation;
- understanding legal issues surrounding entrepreneurship;
- positioning oneself within the business community;
- creation of new opportunities within a business environment.
Participants will have the opportunity to network with fellow Ghanaian and German entrepreneurs and participate in several field visits in Berlin.
The two-week programme will focus on the following themes: legal, communication, leadership and management for entrepreneurs.
The sessions are organised around practical case studies and will be structured as follows:
- Creation and structuring of a company (corporate structures, financing, communications skills, attracting investors, etc.);
- Company development (issues related to tax and labour law, intellectual property, contract negotiations, Public-private partnerships (PPP), leadership, persuasion and networking, teamwork, integrity, etc.);
- Management of conflicts (internal conflict management, Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) methods, crisis management, etc.).
Lecturers and speakers
The Summer School will be run by practitioners with international experience in the legal and entrepreneurial field. Beyond the lecturers, participants will have the opportunity to interact with representatives of companies and institutions during field visits.
- present an letter of motivation explaining how they believe the training will benefit their career (e.g. concrete entrepreneurial project idea, solving current challenges in their career).
- have sufficient English skills to follow and participate in the programme;
- be of Ghanaian nationality and have their main residence in Ghana;
- be available end of April for an interview and from 14-27 June 2020 to travel to Berlin for the Summer School;
- apply before 20 April 2020 (11.59pm GMT).
How to apply
- Please apply by signing up to our application portal under the following link: https://application.hertie-school.org/
- After creating your account in the application portal, please select "’Law and management for Ghanaian entrepreneurs’ programme" under the study program section and fill out the required fields;
- Upload your CV;
- Upload a letter of motivation;
- The deadline for submitting applications is 20 April 2020 (11.59pm GMT);
- Women candidates and candidates from outside of Accra are particularly encouraged to apply.
The selection committee is composed of members of the University of Ghana School of Law, the Hertie School and the GIZ.
Preselected candidates will be informed at the end of March and will be invited for an interview at the end of April at the University of Ghana School of Law. Video interviews are an option for candidates who are not present in Accra.
A total of 20 participants will be selected.
The following will be requested from the selected participants:
- A valid passport (for visa applications and travel);
- A picture and a short biography (for the participant booklet).
The costs travel to Berlin and participation are fully covered. This project is funded by the GIZ.