Nicholas van Eckert holds a Bachelor of Arts in International Business Administration from the Baden-Württemberg Cooperative State University (DHBW Mannheim). Prior to his EMPA at the Hertie School, Nicholas worked as a Finance Manager for the German development Agency GIZ project Alliance for Financial Inclusion in Thailand and Malaysia and for the Cities Development Initiative for Asia at the Asian Development Bank in the Philippines. Currently, Nicholas is managing the finances for the Syria Peace Initiative and a German/EU funded sustainable tourism programme in Tunisia.
Master's thesis title
The impact of the 2015 refugee crisis with its influx of refugees and migrants to Germany on development policy and the portfolio of GIZ.
Recent professional experience
- Mar. 2021 - present: German development agency GIZ, Promotion of Sustainable Tourism, Tunis. Finance Manager.
- Jan. 2019 - present: GIZ, Syria Peace Initiative, Germany. Finance Manager.
- Apr. 2016 - Dec. 2018: GIZ, Cities Development Initiative for Asia, Philippines. Finance Manager.
- Jan. 2015 - Apr. 2016: GIZ, Alliance for Financial Inclusion, Malaysia. Finance Manager.
- Sept. 2012 - Dec. 2014: GIZ, Alliance for Financial Inclusion, Thailand. Finance Manager.
- Oct. 2008 - Sept. 2011. Baden-Württemberg Cooperative State University (DHBW Mannheim), Germany. Bachelor of Arts in International Business Administration.