International research project about democratic development in Europe kicks off.
The workshop series „Roll-Back of Democracy? Current Trajectories of Democratic Development in Europe – From Diagnosis to Remedies” kicks off at the Hertie School on 20 February 2014. The workshops are organized by the Hertie School and the Central European University.
The overall aim of the project is to address concerns about democratic developments in Europe with a special focus on Central and Eastern European Countries. The workshops will bring together the leading experts in transition studies together with key actors on the ground in order to conduct a methodical analysis of the current state of democracy and to develop policy tools and recommendations for addressing the current roll-back of democracy. Following the Berlin workshop, there will be a public conference in Budapest at the Central European University on 7 April 2014.
The workshop’s keynote speakers at the Hertie School include:
- Prof. Dr. Claus Offe, Hertie School
- Prof. Dr. Bernhard Weßels, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB)
- Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Seibel, University of Konstanz/Hertie School
- Prof. Dr. László Bruszt, European University Institute
- Prof. Alina Mungiu-Pippidi, PhD, Hertie School