Applying for the Executive MPA programme
The Executive Master of Public Administration is aimed at professionals from all sectors. Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- A good higher education degree in any discipline (typically, Executive MPA participants have a background in business/economics, law, social science or natural sciences)
- At least three years of relevant work experience (average is nine years)
- Proficiency in English
Applications for the next Executive MPA class starting in September are possible from 1 January to 15 August via the Hertie School's online application module.
Create an online account in our application portal and follow the step-by-step instructions. Fill in the online application carefully and completely. Incomplete applications cannot be accepted.
Please upload the required supporting documents in .pdf format to the online application portal:
- Your curriculum vitae (in English or German)
- A letter of motivation (in English or German, preferably in English – two pages or 900 words maximum)
- Copies of official academic transcripts and diplomas of all attended universities. Every transcript must include a transcript key (an explanation of the grading system). If these documents are not in English or German, the applicant needs to provide us with a certified or notarised translation into English or German. Hard copies are not required until after acceptance into the programme.
- Two letters of reference (in English or German, else a certified or notarised translation into English or German), of which at least one should come from the applicant’s current or last employer. The second can be issued by an academic referee or a former employer. Applicants who undergo an annual performance evaluation by their employer can replace one of the reference letters with this document. The Hertie School may decide to contact the referee(s) to confirm the authenticity of the issued document(s).
Letters of reference can also be sent to the admissions team by the referee directly, either as an email attachment to empa-admissions[at]hertie-school[dot]org, or via regular mail to: Hertie School, Recruitment and Admissions, Friedrichstr. 180, 10117 Berlin, Germany.
Letters of reference should be on an official letterhead (if applicable) and include an original signature. Contact details of all referees should be listed in the "References" section of the online application portal. Letters of reference can also be handed in after the application deadline.
- An English proficiency certificate (for non-native English speakers, if applicable).
An application can be saved and revisited until it is "submitted". Once submitted, the application will no longer be accessible to the candidate.
All documents must be submitted in English. Please note we are not able to return any application materials.
Please keep in mind that only complete applications will be evaluated. It is the responsibility of applicants to make sure they submit all required documents and that the submitted documents are valid.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Applications for EMPA scholarships are accepted from 1 January to 15 August. Applications for financial aid (reduction in the tuition fees) are accepted as long as funds are available.
The selection committee may decide to invite preselected candidates to a phone or skype interview. The committee also decides on the admissions for the new Executive MPA cohort.