German Marshall Fund and Bundeskanzler-Helmut-Schmidt-Stiftung initiative to tackle pressing transatlantic challenges.
Professor of International Security and Director of the Hertie School Centre for International Security Wolfgang Ischinger will co-chair a new Transatlantic Task Force, together with Karen Donfried, President of the German Marshall Fund of the United States (GMF). Hertie School President Henrik Enderlein is also one of 14 initial members. The Task Force is being launched by Washington, DC, -headquartered GMF and the Hamburg-based Bundeskanzler-Helmut-Schmidt-Stiftung (BKHS).
The group strives to overcome recent difficulties in the 70-year-old transatlantic alliance and will develop a set of policy solutions to pressing shared challenges. These include security, climate, trade, technology and relations with China and Russia, among others. The “Transatlantic Task Force: Together or Alone? Choices and Strategies for Transatlantic Relations for 2021 and Beyond,” is made up of American and European experts who will present their first policy solutions in fall 2020.
“The U.S.-European relationship and its underlying assumptions are being questioned to an unprecedented degree on both sides of the Atlantic,” said Donfried. “Any belief that the transatlantic order will soon revert to the status quo ante belies long-festering alliance difficulties.”
Task Force members:
· General John Allen, President, The Brookings Institution
· Rt Hon Baroness Catherine Ashton, Chair of Global Europe, Woodrow Wilson Center; Former EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, and Vice-President of the European Commission
· Mr. Thierry Déau, Founder/CEO, Meridiam
· Dr. Sławomir Dębski, Director, Polish Institute of International Affairs
· Prof. Dr. Henrik Enderlein, President, Hertie School; Professor of Political Economy; Director, Jacques Delors Centre
· Dr. Michael Froman, Vice Chairman and President, Strategic Growth, Mastercard; Former U.S. Trade Representative and Deputy National Security Advisor for International Economic Affairs
· Representative Will Hurd, Member, U.S. House of Representatives (R-TX 23)
· Mr. Miroslav Lajčák, Minister of Foreign and European Affairs, Slovakia
· Ms. Merle Maigre, Executive Vice President for Government Relations, CybExer Technologies
· Dr. Cecilia Malmström, Former EU Trade Commissioner
· Dr. James Manyika, Chairman and Director, McKinsey Global Institute
· Dr. Kori Schake, Deputy Director-General, International Institute for Strategic Studies
· Representative Elissa Slotkin, Member, U.S. House of Representatives (D-MI 8)
· Dr. Nathalie Tocci, Director, Istituto Affari Internazionali
Read the press release about the Task Force here.