This certificate is designed for professionals who would like to deepen their knowledge of the European Union, its institutions and its governance structures, processes and players.
A four-day practical workshop in Brussels provides an introduction to EU institutions and the decision making process at the European level. Further seminars at the Hertie School of Governance in Berlin expand participants' understanding of the current governance challenges Europe is facing. They gain insight into the crucial structures, players, and processes of EU governance as well as on the constitutional law of the European Union and the European dimension of fiscal rules. The certificate also provides insights into energy and climate policy impacts and evaluates the potential for control of corruption across sectors in Europe and beyond.
This certificate includes:
Two of the following seminars*
- EU governance (two available dates: 7-9 Nov 16, 9-11 Feb 17)
- Good governance and anti-corruption (22-24 May 17)
- EU workshop in Brussels (20-23 June 17)
- Energy sustainability and climate change (3-5 July 17)
- A new interplay between the state, business and civil society (not offered in 16/17)
One of the following skills trainings*
- Consulting skills (two available dates: 7-8 July 16 & 15-16 Sept 16)
- Cooperation and problem solving in the international context (19-20 Jan 17)
- Leadership for new leaders (7-8 Feb 17)
- Negotiation (14-15 March 17)
- Judgement under uncertainty - Decision support through foresight analysis (3-4 April 17)
- Conflict management (2-3 May 17)
- Argumentation (12-13 June 17)
*Participants make their choice.
Professionals from all sectors (public, private, and from NGOs)
- Higher education degree
- At least two years of relevant professional experience (average is ten years)
- Good knowledge of English
- Three seminars and one skills training, amounting to a total of 11-12 days
- Additional time for the preparation of the seminars, as well as for the follow-up assignments
- 11 ECTS credits are acquired
€ 6,900 if certificate programme includes a Workshop
Certificate fees are exempted from tax according to Value Added Tax Act (UStG) §4 Nr. 21a. In Germany and many other countries, tuition fees for continuing education programmes are also fully tax-deductible as professional training expenses.
Certificate fee includes (unless otherwise indicated):
Attendance, online access to course literature before the seminars, materials during the seminars, beverages in the Hertie School of Governance cafeteria (open on weekdays), correction and rating of assignments, and a final certificate after full and successful attendance (11 ECTS credits are acquired). Participants of the certificate programme must complete the certificate within two years. Most courses take place on an annual basis. All seminars take place at the Hertie School of Governance in Berlin, workshops take place in London or Brussels.
Registration is possible throughout the year, on a first-come, first-serve basis via our online application module. Admission is subject to availability.