This certificate is designed for experienced professionals who would like to enhance their general management competencies. Professionals who complete this certificate are equipped with the latest concepts and practical tools in the field of leadership and management.
Participants look at selected cases and discuss their practical experience with each other. They learn how to develop their own leadership approach, structure complex decision-making processes and make effective use of resources, enhance their organisation’s strategic capacity, deal with crises and conflicts, initiate social innovation, and lead organisational change.
This certificate includes:
Three of the following seminars*
- Power and influence: Leadership in action (two available dates: 20-22 Oct 16, 4-6 May 17)
- Politics of reform of international organisations (24-26 Nov 16)
- Social innovation (28-30 Nov 16)
- Digital transformation (8-10 Dec 16)
- Smart decisions in government and business (16-18 Jan 17)
- Conflict prevention and crisis management - Selected case studies in international negotiations (6-8 March 17)
- Managing organisational change - How to lead change within a political and administrative context (20-22 March 17)
- Workshop in London (15-18 May 17)
- Good governance and anti-corruption (22-24 May 17)
- Public sector budgeting and accounting (15-17 June 2017)
- Strategic management - Enhancing the strategic capacity of public organisations (29 June - 1 July 17)
- Performance management - Management approaches for effectiveness and efficiency (not offered in 16/17)
- Human resource management (not offered in 16/17)
- Organisational strategies and sustainable development (not offered in 16/17)
- Leadership and personnel management (not offered in 16/17)
One of the following skills trainings*
- Consulting skills (two available dates: 7-8 July 16 & 15-16 Sept 16)
- Cooperation and problem solving in the international context (19-20 Jan 17)
- Leadership for new leaders (7-8 Feb 17)
- Negotiation (14-15 March 17)
- Judgement under uncertainty - Decision support through foresight analysis (3-4 April 17)
- Conflict management (2-3 May 17)
- Argumentation (12-13 June 17)
*Participants make their choice.
Professionals from all sectors (public, private, and from NGOs)
- Higher education degree
- At least two years of relevant professional experience (average is ten years)
- Good knowledge of English
- Three seminars and one skills training, amounting to a total of 11-12 days
- Additional time for the preparation of the seminars, as well as for the follow-up assignments
- 11 ECTS credits are acquired
€ 6,900 if certificate programme includes a Workshop
Certificate fees are exempted from tax according to Value Added Tax Act (UStG) §4 Nr. 21a. In Germany and many other countries, tuition fees for continuing education programmes are also fully tax-deductible as professional training expenses.
Certificate fee includes (unless otherwise indicated):
Attendance, online access to course literature before the seminars, materials during the seminars, beverages in the Hertie School of Governance cafeteria (open on weekdays), correction and rating of assignments, and a final certificate after full and successful attendance (11 ECTS credits are acquired). Participants of the certificate programme must complete the certificate within two years. Most courses take place on an annual basis. All seminars take place at the Hertie School of Governance in Berlin, workshops take place in London or Brussels.
Registration is possible throughout the year, on a first-come, first-serve basis via our online application module. Admission is subject to availability.