This certificate is designed for experienced professionals working in the public sector (on a regional, national or international level) who would like to enhance their general management competencies. Professionals who complete this certificate are equipped with the latest concepts and practical tools which are key for successful management in the public sector.
Participants look at selected cases and discuss their practical experience with each other. They learn how to manage teams, deal with digitalisation, structure complex decision-making processes and make effective use of resources, enhance their organisation’s strategic capacity, improve performance, and lead organisational change.
This certificate includes:
Three of the following seminars*
- Managing organisational change – How to lead change within a political and administrative context (27-29 November 2017)
- Digital government (5-7 October 2017)
- Fiscal rules and budgeting: Examples from OECD countries (29-31 January 2018)
- Performance management (5-7 March 2018)
- Human resources management (26-28 March 2018)
- Workshop in London (14-17 May 2018)
- Strategic management - Enhancing the strategic capacity of public organisations (18-20 June 2018)
One of the following skills trainings*
- Consulting skills (16-17 October 2017)
- Decision support through foresight analysis and scenario planning (23-24 January 2018)
- Conflict management (8-9 March 2018)
- Public communication skills (26-27 April 2018)
- Leadership for new leaders (12-13 June 2018)
- Negotiation (21-22 June 2018)
*Participants make their choice.
Most courses take place on an annual basis.
Professionals from all sectors (public, private, and from NGOs)
- Higher education degree
- At least two years of relevant professional experience (average is ten years)
- Good knowledge of English
- Three seminars and one skills training, amounting to a total of 11-12 days
- Additional time for the preparation of the seminars, as well as for the follow-up assignments
- 11 ECTS credits are acquired
€ 6,900 if certificate programme includes a Workshop
Certificate fees are exempted from tax according to Value Added Tax Act (UStG) §4 Nr. 21a. In Germany and many other countries, tuition fees for continuing education programmes are also fully tax-deductible as professional training expenses.
Certificate fee includes (unless otherwise indicated):
Attendance, online access to course literature before the seminars, materials during the seminars, beverages in the Hertie School of Governance cafeteria (open on weekdays), correction and rating of assignments, and a final certificate after full and successful attendance (11 ECTS credits are acquired). Participants of the certificate programme must complete the certificate within two years. Most courses take place on an annual basis. All seminars take place at the Hertie School of Governance in Berlin, workshops take place in London or Brussels.
Registration is possible throughout the year, on a first-come, first-serve basis via our online application module. Admission is subject to availability.