Politics and economics are no longer separate areas. The interaction and links between the two sectors have increased dramatically during the recent years due to a step-up in market regulations and compliance protocols. Furthermore, the set of stakeholders that have gained influence in the decision-making processes of businesses has expanded steadily, reflecting a mature civil society. Nevertheless, both sectors still have different governance requirements and distinct functionalities that challenge these essential ties and mutual understanding. At the same time, civil society organisations have witnessed a dramatic rise in their importance and influence.
This certificate focuses on the interface between these three sectors. The ability to capture opportunities and to cooperate with other sectors will be a key competence acquired, driving the transformation to a government that has the necessary governance capabilities.
This certificate includes:
Three of the following seminars*
- People Management (10-12 October 2019)
- Public Sector Innovation (21-23 November 2019)
- Social Innovation (25-27 November 2019)
- European Union Governance (05-07 February 2020)
- Designing, Leading and Growing Organizations (20-22 April 2020)
- Smart Decisions in Government and Business (23-25 April 2020)
- Workshop in Brussels (09-12 June 2020)
- Sustainability (22-24 June 2020)
- Global Regulatory Power (25-27 June 2020)
One of the following skills trainings*
- Monitoring & Evaluation (Fall 2019)
- Policy-Writing for Impact (Fall 2019)
Political Communication (18-19 November 2019)
- Data Skills (03-04 February 2020)
- Negotiation & Mediation (27-28 March 2020)
- Scenario-Building & Foresight (27-28 April 2020)
*Participants make their choice.
Most courses take place on an annual basis.
Professionals from all sectors (public, private, and from NGOs)
- Higher education degree
- At least two years of relevant professional experience (average is ten years)
- Good knowledge of English
- Three seminars and one skills training, amounting to a total of 11-12 days.
- Additional time for the preparation of the seminars, as well as for the follow-up assignments.
- 11 ECTS credits are acquired.
€ 6,900 if certificate programme includes a Workshop
Certificate fees are exempted from tax according to Value Added Tax Act (UStG) §4 Nr. 21a. In Germany and many other countries, tuition fees for continuing education programmes are also fully tax-deductible as professional training expenses.
Certificate fee includes (unless otherwise indicated):
Attendance, online access to course literature before the seminars, materials during the seminars, beverages in the Hertie School of Governance cafeteria (open on weekdays), correction and rating of assignments, and a final certificate after full and successful attendance (11 ECTS credits are acquired). Participants of the certificate programme must complete the certificate within two years. Most courses take place on an annual basis. All seminars take place at the Hertie School of Governance in Berlin, workshops take place in London or Brussels.
Registration is possible throughout the year, on a first-come, first-serve basis via our online application module. Admission is subject to availability.