A successful modernisation of the public sector requires managers to have a thorough and up-to-date understanding of different approaches and the challenges to implementation. Managers are given insight into areas essential for a lasting modernisation of the public sector. They learn about public sector reform, how to enhance their organisation’s strategic capacity and how to lead change within an organisation: all essential skills for successfully managing modernisation projects.
Participants will also be introduced to modern leadership theories and concepts, learn about challenges and opportunities of digitalisation, improve their understanding of behavioural economics, and will discuss how and when innovation can be a driver of social change.
This certificate includes:
Three of the following seminars*
- Power & Influence: Leadership in Action (07-09 October 2019)
- People Management (10-12 October 2019)
- Managing Organisational Change (28-30 October 2019)
- Public Sector Innovation (21-23 November 2019)
- Social Innovation (25-27 November 2019)
- Budgeting and Priority-Setting in Government (24-26 February 2020)
- Technology Policy & Digital Transformation (09-11 March 2020)
- Digital Governance (12-14 March 2020)
- Good Governance & Anti-Corruption (02-04 April 2020)
- Designing, Leading and Growing Organizations 20-22 April 2020)
- Smart Decisions in Government and Business (23-25 April 2020)
- Workshop in London (11-14 May 2020)
- Workshop in Brussels (09-12 June 2020)
One of the following skills trainings*
- Monitoring & Evaluation (Fall 2019)
- Policy-Writing for Impact (Fall 2019)
Political Communication (18-19 November 2019)
- Data Skills (03-04 February 2020)
- Negotiation & Mediation (27-28 March 2020)
- Scenario-Building & Foresight (27-28 April 2020)
*Participants make their choice.
Most courses take place on an annual basis.
Professionals from all sectors (public, private, and from NGOs)
- Higher education degree
- At least two years of relevant professional experience (average is ten years)
- Good knowledge of English
- Three seminars and one skills training, amounting to a total of 11-12 days.
- Additional time for the preparation of the seminars, as well as for the follow-up assignments.
- 11 ECTS credits are acquired.
€ 6,900 if certificate programme includes a Workshop
Certificate fees are exempted from tax according to Value Added Tax Act (UStG) §4 Nr. 21a. In Germany and many other countries, tuition fees for continuing education programmes are also fully tax-deductible as professional training expenses.
Certificate fee includes (unless otherwise indicated):
Attendance, online access to course literature before the seminars, materials during the seminars, beverages in the Hertie School of Governance cafeteria (open on weekdays), correction and rating of assignments, and a final certificate after full and successful attendance (11 ECTS credits are acquired). Participants of the certificate programme must complete the certificate within two years. Most courses take place on an annual basis. All seminars take place at the Hertie School of Governance in Berlin, workshops take place in London or Brussels.
Registration is possible throughout the year, on a first-come, first-serve basis via our online application module. Admission is subject to availability.