In a 5-day programme, professionals are enabled to develop key competencies and skills in leadership, personnel management and conflict management.
The capability for successful leadership is not "inborn". Leadership can be learned and acquired.
Participants of the Hertie School Leadership Programme visit the following Executive Seminar (two dates available):
- Power and influence: Leadership in action (participants choose one of the following dates: 20-22 October 2016 or 4-6 May 2017, Berlin, Seminar Director: Prof. Johanna Mair, PhD, Hertie School & Stanford University). The 3-day seminar introduces participants to conceptual as well as practical understandings of modern leadership theories. Participants develop an understanding of the relationship among key concepts such as leadership, management and authority. They learn about conceptual models, discuss case studies, apply self-assessment tools and use a simulation exercise to help them develop their own leadership approach.
In addition, participant choose one of the following skills trainings (2 days each):
- Leadership for new leaders (7-8 February 2017, Berlin, Seminar Director: Dr. Jan Onno Reiners, jan onno reiners human development). The skills training "Leadership for New Leaders" is primarily directed at professionals, who would like to prepare for future leadership roles as well as for leaders who are (or still feel) new in their leadership role. The course explores core aspects of leadership as the central link or interface between "the team" and "the outside", including the crucial aspect of communication. Participants will be provided with a simple, yet extensive framework for their leadership tasks, and will explore central ideas of leadership in an interactive mix of discussions and exercises.
- Conflict management (2-3 May 2017, Berlin, Seminar Directors: Dr. Constantin Olbrisch / Steffen Weitzdörfer, Betriebspartner GmbH & Co. KG). In the skills training on "Conflict Management", participants take a close look at their own personal attitude to conflict and get to know techniques to effectively handle disputes from both the viewpoint of an affected party and a mediator. They are provided with a practical tool kit and the social skills needed to avoid or resolve the emergence of conflicts within organisations and closed social systems.
All courses take place at the Hertie School of Governance in central Berlin.
Please note that new programme dates will be available in early July.
Professionals from all sectors (public, private, and from NGOs)
- Higher education degree
- At least two years of relevant professional experience (average is ten years)
- Good knowledge of English
- Participation in two courses (5 days in total) in Berlin
- Additional time for the preparation of the Seminar "Power and Influence"
- No follow-up assignment is required. Participants who who wish to continue with a Certificate programme or the Executive MPA Programme may acquire ECTS credits, which can be transferred to these programmes.
- The seminar "Power and influence" will start at 11am on the first day and end at 4pm on the third day.
- The skills trainings take place from 9am - 6 pm on both days.
The fee for the Hertie School Leadership Programme is exempted from tax according to Value Added Tax Act (UStG) §4 Nr. 21a. In Germany and many other countries, tuition fees for continuing education programmes are also fully tax-deductible as professional training expenses.
Fee includes: attendance, online access to course documents, materials during the seminars, beverages, final certificate.
Registration is possible throughout the year, on a first-come, first-serve basis via our online application module. Admission is subject to availability.