14-16 November 2019 | Executive MPA Seminar
Governments and administrations today are increasingly confronted with the challenge to act more strategically, for example when they have to make prioritizations in light of scarce resources, or pursue organisational change projects in order to prepare their organisation for future tasks. Nevertheless, strategic management is a complex task which goes far beyond the mere implementation of instruments.
The first part of this course gives an introduction into modern, strategically oriented management instruments and approaches in the public sector. Students get an overview of what modern management in the public sector means and what the contribution of management in the public sector can be. Opportunities and possible fields of application to a more strategic management approach will be identified, different approaches and strategies are discussed and key instruments such management approaches will be presented. Performance measurement and management to improve efficiency and effectiveness in public sector organisations that are at the heart of many administrative modernisation programmes will be discussed.
The second part of this course is designed to give a comprehensive introduction into core ideas and concepts of performance management and specific instruments. Students get an understanding for different components of a performance management system such as structures, performance targets and information, personnel management as well as behavioural and cultural aspects and the need for an integrated approach.
Upon successful completion of this course, students should demonstrate a range of knowledge and competencies such as:
- Understand and identify the contribution and opportunities of strategic and performance management to improve and manage performance in the public sector.
- Know and analyse different approaches and characteristics of strategic management approaches used in the public sector.
- Analyse a specific working context with regard to actual strategic and performance management process and define potential measures for improvement.
- Understand the different components of a performance management system such as structures, performance targets and information, personnel management as well as behavioural and cultural aspects and the need for an integrated approach.
- Become acquainted with different approaches to measure performance and the possibilities as well as limitations of performance measurement in the public sector.
This seminar is offered in the open enrolment programme and as part of the Executive MPA programme.
It can also be completed as part of the
All seminars can be customised for organisational clients. Learn more.