This course examines the perspectives, knowledge and skills required for developing and implementing organisational strategies and transformational change in a public sector and a non-governmental context. The course includes the following strategic instruments: Environmental scanning, root cause analysis, formulation of missional and strategic results, identification of pathways to outcomes, framing strategies, design of a performance management system to monitor strategic results and critical elements of organisational change.
By the end of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand the purpose of strategic management in a public sector and non-governmental context;
- Propose the mission and strategic results that channel the organisation's activities;
- Use scanning methods to identify the root causes of problems to be addressed;
- Develop performance measurement systems to monitor the implementation of the strategy;
- Plan the implementation of the strategy.
This course is for 2nd year MIA and MPP students only.