Data science has the ability to improve the world in a number of ways, particularly in terms of social good. By analyzing data, we can identify and address issues such as poverty, inequality, and environmental sustainability. For example, data science can help us understand the root causes of social issues and find ways to address them, such as by identifying patterns in crime data to help prevent future incidents or by analyzing healthcare data to improve patient outcomes. Data science can also help us to make more informed decisions that benefit society, such as by identifying ways to allocate resources more effectively or by predicting and mitigating the impact of natural disasters.
The Data for Good Scholarship is aimed at students that are passionate about the power of data to bring about positive change and improve the lives of people around the world.
- Available for the Master of Data Science for Public Policy
- Open to applicants of all nationalities
- Up to five full scholarships worth 36,500 euros each
Who is it for?
Students who are interested in using data and data science to address societal issues and to promote better informed policy-making.
How to apply
- First, submit a standard application to the MDS programme.
- Additionally, submit an essay stating one concrete example of how data could be used (or better used) to improve policymaking. Please be as specific as possible and consider questions like why this case would profit from the (better) use of data, what data you would use, how you would access/gather said data, how you would propose to use the data and what potential challenges you might encounter in doing so. You can also use a data-related project or code that you have worked on in the past as inspiration.
The additional essay should be sent to grad-admissions[at]hertie-school[dot]org after a standard application has been submitted. The essay should be approximately two pages in length.
Interested applicants should submit their application and essay before 1 February. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.