External funding and loans
The Student Affairs team offers assistance in finding the right financial resources mix in the form of grants and loans. More information is available in the External funding section. The newest addition to our financial aid portfolio are the Hertie School Education Funds that are based on the idea of the reversed generational contract.
Hertie School scholarships
The Hertie School grants a limited number of tuition waivers (mostly reductions of the tuition fees) to a small number of excellent and motivated candidates. Please check the scholarships section for details.
A modular entry into the Executive MPA Programme is possible via the Executive Seminars and Certificates. All courses offered are Executive MPA seminars of 2-4 days each. Certificate participants select a certain academic focus and accomplish four courses (11 days in total) within a period of one or two years. There are no scholarships or reductions of the tuition for this programme, but credits earned can be recognised if a participant later starts with the Executive MPA (all tuition fees paid for seminars and certificates are offset against the EMPA tuition fees).
Support from employer
Many of our part-time Executive MPA participants receive some sort of support from their employer. This can be in the form of non-financial support, such as more flexibility or extra-leave, but also as financial support. Seminars and certificates are very often supported by the employer as an integral part of continuing education.
Financing options for employees of the German higher civil service and Deutsche Bahn AG
- Employees of the higher civil service ("höherer Dienst") working for German Federal Ministries and their subordinate agencies can be financially supported. Download: Call for Applications. Please contact your personnel department or executive-applications[at]hertie-school[dot]org for details.
- The Executive MPA programme is member of the Deutsche Bahn (German Railways) Master Programme. [more]
- In most German federal states, legislation allows employees to attend continuing education courses (paid educational leave - "Bildungsurlaub") for several working days per year with no loss in earnings. Please check your state government or the following website (in German) for details. [more]
- In Germany and many other countries, tuition fees are also fully tax-deductible as professional training expenses.
- Own resources: Last but not least, an investment in your education can pay off. Participation in a high-profile executive education programme can be key to taking the next step in your professional life, to preparing you for a career change, getting challenged intellectually, reflecting, adjusting and expanding your horizon, meeting new inspiring people and to enlarging your network! Learn more about the Hertie School community.