Brain Capital offers a flexible concept for students with EU citizenship or a permanent EU work permit to finance their studies based on the idea of the Generation Contract, "Umgekehrte Generationenvertrag (UGV)".
Brain Capital will cover up to 100% of tuition fees. Recipients begin repayments once they begin earning a minimum annual salary of 30,000 euros. Repayments last for a maximum of 10 years and are based on the recipient's earnings, the maximum being 10% of the total income. These repayments will, in turn, enable future generations of Hertie School students to concentrate on their studies without the immediate burden of tuition fees.
Brain Capital additionally offers career advice and coaching during your studies and after graduation. [more]
Brain Capital GmbH
Phone: +49 261 / 450 934 90
“We want you to study at the Hertie School irrespective of your financial situation.”
CHANCEN eG is a social enterprise. Its fair financial solution for tuition fees is for students with EU citizenship, OECD citizenship and beyond. CHANCEN eG believes everyone should have equal access to education.
The Income Share Agreement (ISA) is the backbone of CHANCEN eG's fair financial solution. CHANCEN eG covers students' tuition fees whilst they focus on their studies. Students commit to making income-based repayments once they earn above the minimum income threshold. Together, CHANCEN eG and students ensure that repayments enable future generations to access education.
For students with EU citizenship, repayments last for a maximum of 10 years and are based on the recipient's earnings, the maximum being 9% of relevant income.
Becoming part of the CHANCEN eG community allows students to follow their dreams and at the same time ensure that future generations also have the same opportunity. [more]
The Income Share Agreement thrives on the commitment by all members of the cooperative community, united in their striving for equal opportunities for all people regardless of financial background, race, gender and nationality.
This scholarship is advertised by the Ministry of Education and Research and aims to support students studying in Germany with a monthly amount of 300 euros for 12 months. For more information please have a look at the ministry's website.
To be eligible for the grant you must meet the following criteria:
- MPP or MIA students with no further financial aid such as a Hertie School tuition waiver, scholarship, travel grant, etc.
- Full-time enrolment at the Hertie School for at least 12 more months
Required application documents:
- Submitted online request on MyStudies
- Explanatory statement
- Most recent transcript (bachelor's or master's)
Please submit your application via MyStudies by 31 July, 23:59 (CET) if you would like to apply.
The following loan options provide funding for students studying at a German university. International students are generally eligible to apply but one or two German (citizen) guarantors are required.
Studentische Darlehnskasse e.V.
- The Studentische Darlehnskasse e.V. offers students the opportunity to finance their studies regardless of personal factors such as their parents’ income, the student's age, their nationality or field of studies.
- Basic condition: The loan can be applied for at the Studentische Darlehnskasse e.V., Englerallee 21, 14195, Berlin, using the forms provided. The following documents need to be submitted: An application from, guarantees and lecturer assessments.
- Length: Up to 36 months
- Amount: The loan is paid out in monthly instalments. The maximum amount per month is 750 euros. It is possible to apply for an extra lump sum payment of 1,500 euros.
- Interest rate: The loan is charged with a fixed interest rate. For the first two years, an interest rate of 1% p. a. applies; for the following three years, 2% p. a.; and starting from the sixth year, 4% p. a. will be charged.
- Repayment begins 6 months after the last disbursement and may be extended by another 6 months. Repayment starts with a minimum of 75 euros per month, increasing by 25 euros every 12 months. Depending on the financial situation, it is possible to agree on an individual repayment.
- More information: www.dakaberlin.de
Deutsche Bank – Personal Loan for tuition fees
The Deutsche Bank offers personal loans covering tuition fees of up to a maximum of 75,000 euros.
- EU citizenship and residency in Germany
- Employment contract (more than 6 months) in Germany
- Must be taxable in Germany
- German bank account
- No securities (e.g. guarantor)
- Possibility of unscheduled repayments, free of charge
- Duration of credit: Up to 95 months with consistent monthly rates
- Fixed interest on debit
- ID / Passport and city registration
- Employment contract
- Last two salary statements
- Bank statement of the last four weeks
Please send the above-mentioned documents to Christian.weichhart[at]db[dot]com.
- CHE-Studienkredit-Test (Overview in German)
- Studienkredit.de (Information portal on student loans in German)
- FinAid (Information on public and private loans in English)
- International Student (Information and search tool on student loans in English)
Additional information and funding options
The Hertie School will actively support admitted students in finding external funding. Please note that the options listed above are not exhaustive and further information on external funding options and additional options will be provided on request after admission to a study programme. Please contact us at external-funding[at]hertie-school[dot]org.
The above listed options are a selection of stipend, grant, funds as well as loan providers that have provided financial assistance to Hertie School students in the past. Borrowing funds is optional and students need to select the loan programme that best matches their financial needs carefully.
Additional Scholarship Search Engines:
- WeMakeScholars (international scholarships database)
- MyStipendium (search tool available in German only)
- ScholarshipPortal (search tool available in English)
- International Scholarships (scholarship and loan database in English)
- International Student (international scholarship search tool in English)
- AccessGroup (information on loans and scholarships in English)
- FinAid (information on scholarship search in English)
- Affordable Colleges Online (information on loans and scholarships in English)
- Bundesverband Deutscher Stiftungen (database of German foundations available in English and German)
- FedMoney (web guide to all US Government grants and loans)
- Academics (scholarship search tool in German)
Please note that the providers listed here are recommendations only, and the Hertie School bears no responsibility for any contracts made between students and the grants or loan providers.