This certificate is designed for experienced professionals working in the public sector (on a regional, national or international level) who would like to enhance their general management competencies. Professionals who complete this certificate are equipped with the latest concepts and practical tools which are key for successful management in the public sector.
Participants look at selected cases and discuss their practical experience with each other. They learn how to manage teams, deal with digitalisation, structure complex decision-making processes and make effective use of resources, enhance their organisation’s strategic capacity, improve performance, and lead organisational change.
Three of the following seminars*
Designing, leading and growing organisations (08-10 October 2020)
- Managing organisational change (02-04 November 2020)
- Bureaucracies and evidence-based policymaking (05-07 November 2020)
- Public sector innovation (30 November 2020-02 December 2020)
- Ethics and governance of digital technology (07-09 December 2020)
- "Nudging" and experimental policy evaluations (21-23 January 2021)
- Budgeting and priority-setting in government (01-03 February 2021)
- Technology policy and digital transformation (15-17 March 2021)
- Digital governance (18-20 March 2021)
- People management (24-26 March 2021)
- Conflict prevention and crisis management (12-14 April 2021)
- Good governance and anti-corruption (19-21 April 2021)
- Workshop in London (17-20 May 2021)
- Workshop in Brussels (15-18 June 2021)
One of the following skills trainings*
- Writing for policymakers (19-20 November 2020)
- Management of transformation and innovation projects (10-11 December 2020)
- Scenario-building and foresight (25-26 January 2021)
- Data skills (22-23 February 2021)
- Political communication (22-23 March 2021)
- Negotiation and mediation (15-16 April 2021)
*Participants make their choice.
Most courses take place on an annual basis.
Professionals from all sectors (public, private, and from NGOs)
- Higher education degree
- At least two years of relevant professional experience (average is ten years)
- Good knowledge of English
- Three seminars and one skills training, amounting to a total of 11-12 days.
- Additional time for the preparation of the seminars, as well as for the follow-up assignments.
- 11 ECTS credits are acquired.
€ 6,900 if certificate programme includes a Workshop
Certificate fees are exempted from tax according to Value Added Tax Act (UStG) §4 Nr. 21a. In Germany and many other countries, tuition fees for continuing education programmes are also fully tax-deductible as professional training expenses.
Certificate fee includes (unless otherwise indicated):
Attendance, online access to course literature before the seminars, materials during the seminars, beverages in the Hertie School cafeteria (open on weekdays), correction and rating of assignments, and a final certificate after full and successful attendance (11 ECTS credits are acquired). Participants of the certificate programme must complete the certificate within two years. Most courses take place on an annual basis. All seminars take place at the Hertie School in Berlin, workshops take place in London or Brussels.
Registration is possible throughout the year, on a first-come, first-serve basis via our online application module. Admission is subject to availability.