This certificate is designed for experienced professionals working in the public sector (on a regional, national or international level) who would like to enhance their general management competencies. Professionals who complete this certificate are equipped with the latest concepts and practical tools which are key for successful management in the public sector.
Participants look at selected cases and discuss their practical experience with each other. They learn how to manage teams, deal with digitalisation, structure complex decision-making processes and make effective use of resources, enhance their organisation’s strategic capacity, improve performance, and lead organisational change.
Three of the following seminars*
- Bureaucracies and evidence-based policymaking (04 - 06 October 2021)
- Public sector innovation (07 - 09 October 2021)
- Designing, leading and growing organisations (25 - 27 October 2021)
- Power and influence: Leadership in action (28 - 30 October 2021)
- Workshop in Berlin (02 - 05 November 2021)
- Ethics and governance of digital technology (06 - 08 December 2021)
- "Nudging" and experimental policy evaluations (20 - 22 January 2022)
- Budgeting and priority-setting in government (31 January - 02 February 2022)
- Conflict prevention and crisis management (21 - 23 March 2022)
- Managing organisational change (04 - 06 April 2022)
- Inclusive organisations in the digital age (25 - 27 April 2022)
- Digital governance (28 - 30 April 2022)
- Good governance and anti-corruption (04 - 06 May 2022)
- Workshop in Brussels (14 - 17 June 2022)
One of the following skills trainings*
- Managing non-profit and non-governmental organisations (18 - 19 November 2021)
- Management of transformation and innovation projects (03 - 04 December 2021)
- Data skills (24 - 25 February 2022)
- Negotiation and mediation (24 - 25 March 2022)
- Writing for policymakers (07 - 08 April 2022)
- Political communication (02 - 03 May 2022)
- Scenario-building and foresight (02 - 03 June 2022)
*Participants make their choice.
Most courses take place on an annual basis.
Professionals from all sectors (public, private, and from NGOs)
- Higher education degree
- At least three years of relevant professional experience (average is ten years)
- Good knowledge of English
- Three seminars and one skills training, amounting to a total of 11-12 days.
- Additional time for the preparation of the seminars, as well as for the follow-up assignments.
- 11 ECTS credits are acquired.
€ 6,900 if certificate programme includes a Workshop
Certificate fees are exempted from tax according to Value Added Tax Act (UStG) §4 Nr. 21a. In Germany and many other countries, tuition fees for continuing education programmes are also fully tax-deductible as professional training expenses.
Certificate fee includes (unless otherwise indicated):
Attendance, online access to course literature before the seminars, materials during the seminars, beverages in the Hertie School cafeteria (open on weekdays), correction and rating of assignments, and a final certificate after full and successful attendance (11 ECTS credits are acquired). Participants of the certificate programme must complete the certificate within two years. Most courses take place on an annual basis. All seminars take place at the Hertie School in Berlin, workshops take place in London or Brussels.
Registration is possible throughout the year, on a first-come, first-serve basis via our online application module. Admission is subject to availability.